This is your Alma Mater calling...
Earlier this week, THE sent out an email to warn us that students would be calling to update our contact information. I have to admit I was a little stunned when I actually got the call. It went something like this:
Innocent Student: Is this Ceil?
Ceil: Yes
IS: Hi, I am calling from THE to update Alumni contact information. Do you have a minute that I could ask you some questions.
Ceil: Yes
IS: Can I ask you what year you graduated?
Ceil: Thinking feverishly, would it be dreadfully wicked to say NO. I mean, aren't they supposed to know what year I graduated. That isn't going to change year to year. Angel on shoulder causes me to take pity on poor innocent student and I say, 2004.
IS: And what was your major?
Ceil: Devil on shoulder thinks, isn't what THE touts small class sizes, personal relationships, everyone knowing who everyone is...I meekly answer Government.
IS: Are you going to graduate school?
Ceil: No
IS: Your current occupation?
Ceil: Devil gets the better of Ceil and she refuses to provide a more elaborate answer than Government.
IS, clearly embarrassed: I have to ask this question, are you married?
Ceil: That is rather an odd question. The poor innocent student seems more embarrassed by it than I am. Not that it is really THE's business whether I am married or not. Takes pity on the poor embarrassed innocent student. No.
IS concludes the interview.
Innocent Student: Is this Ceil?
Ceil: Yes
IS: Hi, I am calling from THE to update Alumni contact information. Do you have a minute that I could ask you some questions.
Ceil: Yes
IS: Can I ask you what year you graduated?
Ceil: Thinking feverishly, would it be dreadfully wicked to say NO. I mean, aren't they supposed to know what year I graduated. That isn't going to change year to year. Angel on shoulder causes me to take pity on poor innocent student and I say, 2004.
IS: And what was your major?
Ceil: Devil on shoulder thinks, isn't what THE touts small class sizes, personal relationships, everyone knowing who everyone is...I meekly answer Government.
IS: Are you going to graduate school?
Ceil: No
IS: Your current occupation?
Ceil: Devil gets the better of Ceil and she refuses to provide a more elaborate answer than Government.
IS, clearly embarrassed: I have to ask this question, are you married?
Ceil: That is rather an odd question. The poor innocent student seems more embarrassed by it than I am. Not that it is really THE's business whether I am married or not. Takes pity on the poor embarrassed innocent student. No.
IS concludes the interview.

6 Comments:
Wow, they have such bad manners! What a ridiculous phone script.
Mine was about the same...only I was asked if I still lived at home. Well, I suppose, if you consider my own home to be home. =o) You would think that they would know what year we graduated in and what our majors were considering they gave us diplomas in the field. Oh well.
Oh my gosh, are you kidding me?! Wow...there are no words.
I'm not sure what to think about the fact that I never even got a call.
I didn't get called, but ARC did. He said it was about the same as your experience only he tried to small talk a little bit with no success. It is kind of sad that after only - what- five graduating classes they are already having a hard time keeping up with everyone. Oh well :-)
I thought you were CLA and married Julio.
Post a Comment
<< Home