The trials of scroll buttons...
My morning went something like this. Very slow at work. Ordered Christmas present online. On the last screen, I entered my card information, then scrolled up to check the information one last time. Knowing I had already double checked the card, I clicked COMPLETE ignoring the small voice that said to double check. As the transaction went through, I noticed that the card company had changed on the order, so now it was wrong. Stink. Some companies have a TRACK YOUR ORDER where you can make changes or add items until it ships. No such luck. Approximately 30 seconds had passed since I hit the COMPLETE button, but it seemed like an eternity. It will be okay, I thought. I'll get an email saying there was a problem with the transaction, but no such luck, and my item was available for immediate shipping. I quickly dialed customer service and was relieved when a human answered the phone after about 5 seconds. I quickly explained the situation. Oh, he said, we can't do anything about card information. I said, it isn't that the numbers are wrong, it is that the card company is wrong. Hold on a minute he said. He got back on the line forever and a half later. He said, oh, if you call Edit at this number they should be able to fix it for you. He transferred me over. I explained that when I scrolled, it had changed the companies. How much was the transaction, she said. I told her. She said, well, it was already cleared, and gone to invoice because we are so efficient during the Christmas season and all, and so there isn't anything you can do. I said, well, can you at least look at the record, and see if there was just an error on the page, and actually went through on the right company. Oh, no, she said. Credit card information is all private, we can't do anything with that. Well, what am I supposed to do?!?! I said. Everything was right except the name of the company. The only thing you can do is call customer service tomorrow and ask them to cancel the order and then have them place another order on the right card. Can't you do it? I pleaded, begged even. No, she said. I sat at my desk for a few minutes feeling completely stupid. With all the online ordering these days, I can't be the only one who has done this. I figured it was worth calling customer service again. They picked up after 3 seconds. I can't do that, the rep said. On the verge of becoming very frustrated, I asked to speak to a manager. She said, oh, we don't have managers here in customer service. (WHATEVER, I seethed inwardly.) Well, I said, very politely, can you at least transfer me back to editing. Sure. This time, I got Paul. God bless Paul. Maybe it helped that I started out utterly embarrassed, and just said, I have a big problem that I really need fixed, and I really hope you can help me. Paul listened, then immediately said, oh, of course Customer Service can cancel your order. You must have gotten one of our NEW people. But nevermind, he said comfortingly, I'll take care of it for you. And so he did. So maybe, just maybe after the cancelation goes through, I may dare to shop online at that company again. Maybe.

3 Comments:
The interesting thing about that whole saga is that the first few digits on your card indicate whether it is Visa, Amex, or Mastercard. Therefore, the selection should be redundant. If it cleared, I would imagine that it would have cleared on your card to begin with. Though, I could be wrong...
Karl.
Yeah, I actually wondered about that, and asked about the card info, but they couldn't tell me because the information was protected under privacy policies:-(
It's good that there are countless professionals out there helping your private information stay a secret from yourself.
Post a Comment
<< Home