Will heaven smell like honeysuckle?
At a friend's suggestion, (and plagued by my own exercise guilt) I have been running again to de-stress. There is so much going on these days with serious(?) illness in my family, travels cross-country, the on-going controversy at THE, etc. I got home today, and didn't want to run. My muscles were still screaming at me from my workout yesterday (in fact I hobbled around the Courthouse today), I hadn't slept well last night, I was exhausted from work, and just wanted to collapse. After being home for about 15 minutes, I decided it had to be done, so I changed, stretched, and then headed out the door. Our neighborhood is great for running with lots of hills interspersed with flat sections. I managed to get past the middle section just putting one foot in front of the other. My exhaustion was coming back, my calves were getting tense again, and I just didn't want to do it. I ran down one hill, crossed a creek, came back up, and was planning on walking the last mile and a half or so. As I got to the top of the hill and turned to go down another road, I caught the sweetest most peaceful scent, one that I hadn't smelled in ages. I had been down the same road yesterday, and it wasn't there, but today, there was honeysuckle lining the edges of the woods. Perhaps it is cliche', but it was like a breath from heaven, relaxing me and giving me the little bit of energy I needed to press on, putting one foot in front of the other.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home