Thursday, August 11, 2005

I didn't used to think I was that clumsy, but have suddenly realized how far I have come from my early years of ballet.

Scenario #1

I am heating up my coffee at work. The phone starts to ring and I had just pulled the cup out of the microwave to see if it was hot enough. Do I put down the cup like a sensible person? No. I dash out of the backroom running for the phone in my 2 1/4 inch heels, my cup in my right hand, and the lid in my left hand, trying to grab the phone before the other staffers decided to put someone on hold so they could answer the phone. I grabbed the phone with two fingers of my left hand trying to juggle everything, and still holding the coffee lid and coffee cup, hoping that it is someone who just needs verbal information. As I automatically lift the phone to my left ear, I suddenly realize that coffee that had condensated on the lid and was now pouring over my white sleeve and down my arm. I try to help the constituent while frantically looking around for anything to wipe the coffee off. I finally found a paper napkin, but not before the medium brown stains had begun to set. This was great. I was headed out for an evening with friends in Frederick, and wouldn't have time to change. I had a jean jacket with me and would just have to wear that to cover the brown stains up.

Scenario #2

By mid-afternoon, I had given up on the coffee, and moved onto water which theorectically won't stain. I was headed out shortly to Sprintcess' new place to address evelopes for wedding invitations, and didn't really want to risk any more brown blotches. My glass was empty, so I headed back to the backroom to get a refill from the watercooler. I refilled my glass and headed back to my desk, only to be crashed into by a senior staff member who was headed through the door not paying attention to where they were going. I knew it was probably hopeless, but lifted the full glass, trying vainly to redivert the force of the water. Too late. I felt water begin to wash over my hand down my slacks, over my shoes and all over the floor. At that point, the only thing to do is laugh, so we did, as they joked they had just tried to wash out my coffee stains (totally missing them:-P)

Scenario #3
I got back from Frederick about 10:40 last night. Stayed up way too late talking to friends, I think finally going to sleep about 12:30. This morning I woke up too late to pick up my cup of coffee, but still in time for work. I have a long commute, so I wear flipflops until I get to work and carry my heels. Since I wasn't getting coffee or breakfast this morning, I grabbed a glass of milk to drink in the car. I try and avoid non-travel lid cups, and even those, because they inevitably spill as you lower yourself into your car, trying not to wrinkle your clothes, and slosh everywhere. I was running short on time, so just grabbed a real glass with no lid. I was the last one out, so had to lock the front door, juggling my heels, purse, jacket, cellphone, keys, and glass of milk. All went smoothly as I propped our glass door open and locked the front door. However, as I turned to leave, I managed to hook my beltloop on one of the metal brackets that holds the glass into the door. I didn't realise it until I jerked to a sudden stop, and yes, a cascade of milk followed, spilling over my fingers and down into my shoes. Ack. Now I was going to be late. Milk (obviously) will spoil and stink if you don't clean it up, so I unlocked the house, spilling more milk. Tried to put down everything but the milk (since the outside of the glass was now coated with milk) and my shoes.

As I was trying to deal with the shoe/milk fiasco, the phone rang. I never answer the phone when I am going out the door, but my mother does and we have argued about whether you should or shouldn't. [I think you should wait for the machine to pick it up and see who it is and whether it is urgent.] However, I was also trained that you don't call anyone at their residence before 9am or after 9pm unless it is urgent, so I looked to the wall for the cordless phone, only to find I had left it upstairs. Ack. I made a mad dash, and grabbed the phone, only to find it was an urgent call. I tried to take the information and be polite, while my innerself was screaming, "Your going to be late!!!" I finally thanked them and managed to relock the house, and get in my car without incident. I knew at this point I would be late, and left a message on the office voicemail, recounting the story. I arrived, yes, ten minutes late, much to the merriment of my coworker who had heard the story from VoiceMail.

[After the past two days, maybe I need to have an emergency glass smashing session.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home